Information and Forms
In accordance with New York State Department of Education regulations and prior voter approval by the residents of the community, the Board of Education has adopted the following Transportation Policy:
- Kindergarten and Pre-K - All children are transported.
- First through eighth grade- All students living more than ½ mile from the closest designated gate of school assigned are eligible for transportation.
- Ninth through twelfth grade- All students living more than one mile from the closest designated gate of school assigned are eligible for transportation.
Out-of district private or parochial school students are transported up to fifteen miles from their home.
Distances from all homes in the District to all schools, public and private, have been carefully measured and
charted to determine transportation eligibility. Riding limits are strictly enforced. As it is not possible for the buses to stop at each student's door, bus stops may be approximately several blocks from the student's home. Bus stops are globally located to insure a safe and fair walking distance for all students that attend that stop. All kindergarten students will receive a bus stop at the closest corner to their home. Selection of safe bus stops is the district's responsibility, but the safety of the students traveling to and from the bus stops is the responsibility of the parent or guardian, just as if the child were walking to and from school.
Transportation for a student is set up so that the student is picked up and dropped off at the same location five days a week. The pick-up and drop-off point may be different but must remain consistent throughout the school week. If your child needs transportation to and from a babysitter, the babysitter must be in the school attendance zone. Requests for students to be transported to a friend's house or different location for the day are not permitted.
If your child is Pre-K, Kindergarten, Medical or a Special Education student, a parent or guardian must be present when the child is picked up and dropped off. The bus driver and/or bus matron must physically see the parent or guardian. You must give the school and Transportation Department a list of names and phone numbers for the people that are allowed to take receive your child off the bus. Your child will not be given to someone that is not on the approved list.
Private and Parochial school forms must be submitted each year to the Transportation Office no later than April 1st preceding the school year. New forms must be submitted each year. forms available, below
Babysitter forms must be submitted each year to the Transportation Office no later than August 1st preceding the school year. New forms must be submitted each year even if the babysitter is the same as the previous year. The babysitter must be in the school attendance zone. Requests are for a full week; no partial week will be honored. forms available, below
School bus passes will be mailed out to students that are eligible for transportation at the end of August.
Important Information for Students Who Ride School Buses:
- Be outside at your assigned bus stop at least 10 minutes prior to pick up time. If a student misses the bus, it will be the parent/guardian's responsibility to get the student to school.
- Ride only the bus that is assigned to you. The driver will be checking bus passes to make sure you are on the correct bus.
- Remain in your seat while the bus is in motion. Keep your arms and head inside the bus and don't throw objects out of the windows or in the bus.
- Eating, drinking of any beverage, smoking (including e'cigarettes) is not permitted on the bus.
- Respect the property and personal rights of others. Respect the property of the bus, bus driver and bus matrons.
- Any student that disrupts the normal operation of the bus or endangers the safety of others while entering, leaving or riding the bus may be immediately suspended from transportation and may face disciplinary action, including loss of transportation privileges.
- The school bus is an extension of the classroom, and good behavior is expected at all times.